Thursday, January 21, 2010

Thursday Update: Thumbs Up?

Well, while it is still somewhat early in the chemo-effects cycle, I thought I would do a quick post: other than some major (and uncomfortable) hiatal hernia spasms of his chest, Matt is feeling pretty darn good. Thank goodness for better living through chemistry, and powerful anti-nausea drugs! Today is the first day off of the most major one, Emend, and so we will see how his stomach does but so far so good. As he says, "every day without barfing is a good day."

He has been getting extra fluids (2 liters of saline via IV) each day - to help flush out the Cisplatin and help clear his kidneys - and the only other note to report is that Matt can hold fluids like you wouldn't believe. He gained 17 lbs since Monday and it is ALL water weight they think! As such, they are dialing him back and down off of the 2 liters and have given him something to pee more often...

The radiation effects have not kicked in yet too much, FYI. Matt says he can feel the 'zapping' and his neck is just starting to look a little sunburned, but its not too bad either right now. By the end of next week it will be interesting to see what's what. That is when others have told us his taste is likely to go....

That's it for today. Thanks to our recent visitors and to my sister for the fab food!

3 comments:

  1. fine, McLane: that Stacey of yours gets to provide sustenance,eh? Well, as far as I'm concerned, so can I.... so u just watch me! Actually, I've been doing a little research on nutrition/cancer treatments. So--- I hope you won't mind if this foodie puts the research into practice! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Matt-

    Long time, no sail... Colleen Morris Voss told me yesterday of your diagnosis and provided me with a link to your blog. Would you believe I just came across a picture last week of you, Bernie Schmidt, and Taylor Johnson (aka the Chinese Lantern) at my 15th birthday celebration. Do you remember...it was just the four of us. :-) I have worked in Heme/Onc Research for 15 years at the VA Med Ctr and I was a National Study Nurse for a small pilot study in Head and Neck Cancer. Life sure has a way of making a full circle. I wish you all the best and will keep you in my prayers.

    God Bless and Best Always,
    Debbie Johnson Condon

    p.s. Brenda is still a devil!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lis - I will be in touch! You are one of my foodie friends and I wold love your help but the freezer is FULL at the moment! I'll email you. THANKS in advance.

    Debra - Matt says hi and he totally remembers that party, and the picture. Feel free to email him at mattm@gobygreen.com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete